Volunteer Reward Program
We know that it’s not always financially feasible to take all the great classes you want to at BATS, so we have created a way to help alleviate costs: our Volunteer Reward Program!
What exactly is the Volunteer Reward Program?
The basic premise of the programs is this: If you find a class you would like to take, but need financial help with, you can volunteer to help for a specific number of Friday and Saturday night company shows in order to offset the cost of your class.
What classes are eligible for this program?
This program is only valid for classes with 4 or more meetings (no intro classes, weekend intensives, or 2-session specialties!), and is also not applicable for our Summer Session classes.
What is a volunteer session like?
Typically, our volunteers arrive at the Bayfront Theater at Fort Mason an hour before the beginning of the show. All company performances on Friday and Saturday begin at 8pm, so this means your call time will be 7pm!
You spend the first half hour of your shift setting up the lobby for concession sales that night — putting out snacks, making sure the space is clean, and making sure you know our pricing and point of sale system.
Once the house is open (at around 7:30pm), you help sell concessions to our patrons. You will be in charge of stowing these concessions away at the beginning of the show, and then can watch the performance until right before intermission!
At intermission, you will again help sell concessions. After intermission or after the performance ends (depending on the preference of the House Manager that night), you will restock our supplies in our fridge and snack cubby.
There will be some light trash pick-up after the performance ends to keep our theater clean, and then you’ll be free to go.
How do I get involved?
Great question! Here are the exact steps, in more detail:
- Identify the class that you would like to take. This includes the name, coach, start date, and location.
- Look at our show calendar and identify an exact list of dates you can commit to volunteering for, equal to the number of class sessions you will be taking. If you are applying for a 6-week Foundation class, these means you will need to find 6 separate dates you can volunteer for. They can happen concurrently to your class session dates, but they must be completed by the last class session!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with two pieces of information: First, the class you’d like to sign up for, and second, the dates you can commit to volunteering.
- Wait for a confirmation email! There will only be 1 space available in any class that this program is valid for (see information above), so it is possible that you might have to wait for another class. The registrar will also be checking to see if you correctly followed steps 1-3 (that your class and volunteer dates are valid).
- Once confirmed, follow the sign-up link that will be sent in your confirmation email, and sign up for your volunteer dates.
- Email registrar@improv to confirm you’ve completed step 5. Without this email from you, you will not be sent instructions on how to enroll in your chosen class.
- Follow e-mailed instructions for how to enroll in your class. At this point, it will be up to you to show up for your first shift! More information will be sent to your regarding your class about 48 hours before it is set to begin. You will receive confirmation on your successful enrollment via Eventbrite.
Please take careful note: Once you commit to your volunteer dates, they are set — you cannot change them. If you miss one, your dates will be forfeit, and you’ll lose your spot in the class. Our house managers keep track of volunteers for the shows each night, so we will be informed if you do not show up.